I started working as a full time software engineer when I was half way through my computer science graduate program, finished rest of the coursework as a remote student simultaneously. I've changed three jobs since then i.e., one job in every 1yr 10months on an average and, not bragging, I also got promoted at least once in each of these roles, often offered counter offers for retention which I humbly turned down. Many people including interviewers have asked me about this 'job hopping' of mine and I though I'd share my general perspective on this..Read More
If you are a software engineer and not working in some tech backwaters, you must have heard the latest buzz words - containers, micro services, Docker, cloud native apps etc. - all of which essentially points to containerizing your software applications and the benefits you reap from doing so. Containers are all about efficiency - doing more with less. Most of the time your app is using only <~25% (probably even less) of the platform it’s running on, the other ~75% is a waste; unnecessary fat. Don’t believe me? here’s the dataRead More
For some yet-un-known reason, I started reading “The Myth of Sisyphus” by Albert Camus and I must say, the experience so far, is - enlightening. Come to think of it, the subjects of logic, reason, rationality and so called ‘ways of the left-brain’ has always been intriguing to me, mainly because my life as an engineer (most of the world for that matter) is fueled by them.Read More
So, you have a kick-ass idea, you wanna build a startup with it ? Good. There are literally many ways to make it a reality - some may be relevant to you, some not. I’d like to share some thoughts on this subject from my relatively small experience dealing with ‘em.Read More
Debates on using relational DBs vs KV Stores apart, In this post, I’d like to share how can you migrate all your data from a MySQL table to Redis - a super fast key-value store; leaving the decision of whether migration is good/bad for your environment up to YOU.
In this tutorial, I have mapped my mysql attributes to a Redis hash map data type with my primary key as a hash key using HMSET, which is one of the commands Redis provides to create redis hashes.Read More